Ramblings of an Errant Rogue

Trials and tribulations of an actor at large in Hollywood.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I am a living anachronism. I'm a "throw-forward" from another time. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful to have been born here in the 20th century, because it gives me the luxury to play with and explore that pull I feel to history. A few years ago I caught the computer virus and I was never the same. That's been a very slow recovery. Despite my strange attraction to the dark side of life (or more accurately, my romantic idea of the dark side of life), I am an extreme optimist. Like the punching bag clowns of old... you can knock me down, but I come right back up smiling. NOTE: No attempt has been made by the above statement to tempt fate.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Two days before we make the trek and step back in time...

August 3rd we pick up the van, pack it and drive up north to the Great Northwest.... oh, after I stop by Warner Bros. to audition for the role of "John Lennon" in the upcoming "Watchmen" film. Now my brother, Keith sent me the lead to audition weeks ago, but my manager could drum up no interest, so I proceeded to grow my "medieval beard" for the wedding. Now with two days to go and a great looking Van Dyke (if I do say so myself), I get called in for the Lennon role!

The last time I was called in to audition for "John Lennon" was for the film, "Chapter 27" and I was in the middle of shooting the role of Henry Morgan in "True Caribbean Pirates." My manager INSISTED that I shave my Van Dyke during our week off from filming.... needless to say, I didn't get the role and man, were the producers pissed at me! (Of course I DID check it out with my makeup artist before shaving the beard, but... you get the idea). As much as I would like to get this role, I simply can't shave for this audition. I mean, my wedding is a pretty big production too. Ellen loves my Van Dyke and yes, it does make me look more period-correct. I will be going to the audition with lots of "Lennon-like" photos under my arm. Just hope someone there has the imagination to see through the facial hair. Murphy's Law rules my household.

Interesting note: Mark Chapman is the actor who eventually booked the "Chapter 27" gig, which is fitting since he lost out on a television docudrama in the late 80's because his name was too similar to the murderer of John Lennon. I was at one of the first auditions for "Northern Exposure" and the casting director said, "Where were YOU when I was casting THAT show?!" So it just seems weird that our paths are crossing in odd ways.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger A Paperback Writer said...

Love the photo.
I did a search under "Captain Blood," and just had to drop by this blog.
Then I read you were auditioning for a role as John Lennon.... wow.
I hope it went well.
I may drop by again sometime; this looks like an interesting blog.

6:20 PM  
Blogger errant_rogue said...

Wow! I really have to pay more attention to my blogger! I only just realized you had stopped to comment. Sorry! I took a look at your interests and we indeed have a lot in common. Once again I renew my vow to keep my blog more up-to-date (HA!)

Hope things are going well with your writing! Scotland caught my eye! My wife and I were planning a honeymoon in Scotland - put off for a year to get the house in order, etc. Have you been there? Suggestions?

Cheers,

Lance

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home